A New History of the Royal Hibernian Military School
by Howard R. Clark
This history of the Royal Hibernian Military School and its buildings in Phoenix Park Dublin traces the School’s origins to the foundation of the Hibernian Society for Soldiers' Children (boys and girls) in the parish of St. Paul Dublin in 1765. Howard Clarke explains how in the 19th century, at a time when Irishmen formed a large part of the British Army, the School was transformed into a military school, for the sons of soldiers only, with the objective of preparing them to follow their fathers and enlist as in the British Army.
The Hibernian School was opened at Phoenix Park in 1770 and was evacuated to England in 1922. During these years, the buildings were the home to more than 13,000 boys and girls, most of whom had family connections in Ireland.
Readers with ancestors who attended the School will be interested in the living conditions of the Hibernian School children. It describes their food, the discipline and the education they were given to prepare them for indentured apprenticeships - or, from 1808 in the case of the boys, for enlistment in the British Army.
Howard Clarke’s well-researched and referenced history includes 44 b/w and colour illustrations, maps, bibliography, and an introduction written to assist the reader to identify chapters that relevant to his or her particular interests.
This book deserves a place in any library or military collection and will be welcomed as a source of genealogical reference to more than an estimated 2 million descendents of the Hibernian School students.
Format: 561 pp. Demi 8vo, paperback. Weight 1kg.
Price £26 ($45.00 US) including handling and shipping by surface mail.
To order through bookstores quote ISBN 978-0-9567864-0-1
Buy this item now - $45.00 US